We have the pleasure to welcome you at the Kigali Independent University, Gisenyi Campus.
The inception of the Kigali independent University – Gisenyi Campus, has been part of the University Development Plan, particularly its extension program, related to the speading up of teachings and research activities over various towns into the country.
The Kigali Independent University – Gisenyi Campus, at Rubavu, started with academic activities on the 5th of November , 2001, into its own premises. The opening of the campus was due to the following factors:
• The existence of more than 50 secondary schools in the North- and West of Rwanda (Northern and Western Provinces);
• The closing up – due to the 1994 tragic events – of 5 institutions of higher Learning as well as universities located in this part of the country (namely: Université Adventiste d’Afrique Centrale at Mudende, Institut Superieur St Fidèle, ISAE/Busogo, Institut Superieur Pédagogique de NKUMBA and NUR/Nyakinama);
• The need for opening up the Northern and Western regions to the academic world; • The request and support from authorities and population of the Northern and Western provinces of Rwanda, as regarding to the inception of the ULK/ Gisenyi Campus;
• Favorable opinions from the ULK’s different organs ;
• The investment of more than 100 million Rwandan francs by ARPEC (Founder Association of ULK) in infrastructures and equipments at Rubavu
ULK/Gisenyi owns a library holding 6658 titles; 38 computers; a modern guest house for lecturers with residence far from Gisenyi, equipped with a powerful generator, a high capacity water cistern, television sets, photocopying machines, and three vehicles.
Deans and Directors under the Deputy Vice-Chancellor Academics of ULK Gisenyi are :
Director of Academic Affairs, ULK/Gisenyi Campus
Dean of School of Economics and Business Studies
Dean of School of Law
Dean of School of Social Sciences
Dr. CYEZE Emmanuel
Deputy Vice-Chancellor Academic, ULK/Gisenyi