Given the fact that Rwandan intellectuals must shine in the midst of the population by combining science, conscience, strength and deeds to promote the human kind in general and the population in particular, we, students of Kigali Independent University, have created a Student General Association within the University.
The Association is a non-profit making one and is regulated by its statute on the basis of law n°20/2000 of June 26, 2000 relating to the application for and the obtaining of the legal status to Non-Profit Making Associations
II. GENERAL OBJECTIVES OF THE ASSOCIATION
AGEULK set up the following objectives:
• Gathering all the ULK students in one association so as to bring together ideas and pieces of advice;
• Making use of the know-how, technology, education and culture in contributing to the country’s development;
• Advancing culture of peace;
• Promoting and safeguarding the interests of the members of the Association;
• Representing ULK students at academic and administrative jurisdictions; the vice-chairman replaces the chairperson in case of absence or hindrance;
• Channeling constructive ideals and causing the members to become aware of the problems of the community.
III. PLACE OF ACTIVITIES, MEMBERS AND ORGANS OF THE ASSOCIATION
1. Association AGEULK operates in Rwanda; but also extends its activities beyond the country, on decision of the General Assembly
2. AGEULK is composed of effective members and honorary members:
o Every ULK student is an effective member;
o An honorary member is anyone who likes and supports AGEULK and who is approved by the Association General Assembly.
3. The following are the AGEULK organs:
• The General Assembly of the Association; the Executive Committee of AGEULK; the Consultative and Control Council; the College of the representatives of classes;
• The chairperson of the Executive Committee is the legal representative and the spokesperson of the Association. He calls and presides over meetings of the college of the representatives and of the Executive Committee. Jointly with the Secretary General, he approves the meetings reports;
• The Executive Committee is composed of: the President and the Spokesman of the Association; the vice-President and Spokesman by proxy; the Secretary General; the Treasurer; the Commissioner to foreign affairs; the Commissioner to the female promotion; the Commissioner to political affairs; the Commissioner to academic affairs; the Commissioner to research, Science and Technology; the Commissioner to information and communication; the Commissioner to sports, leisure and culture; the Commissioner to social affairs; the Commissioner to protocol; the Commissioner to discipline and security.
IV. PATRIMONY AND FINANCIAL PROVISION
AGULK patrimony stems from: members’ contributions; subsidies from ULK and other institutions; from income generating projects as activities by the Association; from Rwandan Government, etc.